Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Pattern: Stripey Fingerless Mitts

Today a knitter asked me how many stitches I cast on for this project.  And I totally forgot about this pair of mitts I made 2 years ago.  I looked at my notes and realized I had most of the pattern written, even in different sizes.  

To make up for my slipping mojo of blogging since the election, I decided to post the pattern here.
Disclaimer, the pattern has not been test knitted, nor tech edited like I usually do.
Downloadable PDF link is provided below. 

I hope you all have a great 2017 ahead and stay warm for the winter.
My needles are busy, but I'm a bit lazy about taking photos lately.  I promise I will get back to blogging more. 







Stripey Fingerless Mitts


Sizes  Small (Medium, Large)
7 ½” (8”,  8 ½” ) around  x 12 ½” tall  / 19 (20.5, 21.5) cm around x 32 cm tall.
Yarn  Fingering Weight
Needles  US #2 / 2.75 mm  or change needle to obtain gauge
Gauge  28 stitches x 40 rows =  4” x 4” /  10 cm x 10 cm
Construction
  • ·         Knit mitten in round from cuff to fingers.
  • ·         Put thumb sts on waste yarn to be worked later.
  • ·         Continue to knit in round to fingers.
  • ·         Work thumb stitches in round.

Abbreviations
k  knit
p  purl
st(s)  stitch(es)
CO  Cast On
BO  Bind Off
rep  repeat
pm  place marker
sm  slip marker

Illustration Link
A photo illustraion showing the process of making thumb opening:



Stripey Fingerless Mitts

With yarn A, CO 52 (56, 60) sts, join in round and pm for beginning of round.
Next round: sm, [k1, p1] to end.
Repeat last round for 5 more rounds.

Join yarn B and k 2 rounds in yarn B.
K 2 rounds in yarn A.
Repeat last 4 rounds for 14 more times.
Cut yarn B, work with yarn A only from this point on.

K 32 rounds, lengthen or shorten here.

Next round, thumb opening:
Right mitten:  k1, k8 with a 15” / 38 cm scrap yarn, slip the 8 knitted sts in scrap yarn back to left needle, k the 8 sts again with original yarn, continue with original yarn and k to end of round.
Left mitten:  k17 (19, 21), k8 with a 15” / 38 cm scrap yarn, slip the 8 knitted sts in scrap yarn back to left needle, k the 8 sts again with original yarn, continue with original yarn and k to end of round.

K 19 rounds.
Next round, decrease:  [k11 (12, 13), k2tog] 4 times.  –  total 48 (52, 56) sts
Next round:  [k1, p1] to end.
Rep last round for 4 more rounds.
BO all sts in pattern.

Thumb
Pick up 8 stitches below the scrap yarn,  and pick up8 sts above the scrap yarn with second needle.
Pull out the scrap yarn.

Next round:
Right mitten:  begin at the stitches above the gap, k8, pick up and k 2 corner sts,  continue to k8 of the stitches below the gap, pick up and k 2 corner sts.  –  total 20 sts
Left Mitten:  begin at the stitches below the gap, k8, pick up and k 2 corner sts,  continue to k8 of the stitches above the gap, pick up and k 2 corner sts.  –  total 20 sts

K 9 more rounds.

Next round: [k1, p1] to end.
Rep last round for 4 more rounds.
BO all sts in pattern.

Weave in all ends.
Block the mittens to shape. 




1 comment:

  1. Just came across this post--lovely! Thank you for sharing.

    I was completely useless until well into December following the election, so I totally understand your slump. I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete